GlassFish 2.1.1 - TopLink (JPA1) Persistence Exception 7106 - String Encryption Mistery...

GlassFish 2.1.1 - TopLink (JPA1) Persistence Exception 7106 - String Encryption Mistery...

devmardev
Hello,

I'm using NetBeans 6.8 and Glassfish Enterprise Server 2.1.1 ((v2.1 Patch06)(9.1_02 Patch12)) (build b31g-fcs). I created a servlet and used Netbeans code generation features to imlement persistence using TopLink (JPA1).

When I try to create an Entity Manager with the following code: EntityManagerFactory entityManagerFactory=Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory("xyzPU"); EntityManager entityManager=entityManagerFactory.createEntityManager();

I receive the following terrible exception: Exception [TOPLINK-7106] (Oracle TopLink Essentials - 2.1 (Build b31g-fcs (10/19/2009))): oracle.toplink.essentials.exceptions.ValidationException Exception Description: Error encountered during string encryption. Internal Exception: java.security.ProviderException: update() failed oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.EntityManagerSetupImpl.deploy(EntityManagerSetupImpl.java:240) oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.base.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.getServerSession(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:93) oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.base.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManagerImpl(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:138) oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.base.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManagerImpl(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:132) oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManager(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:91) etc...

Trying to figure out what was going on I put the 2 lines of code above into a new class with a main() method (same package of the one where the code was before but outside of the servlet) and everything worked properly. Thus, there should be no issues with libraries importing, configuration files, etc.. Furthermore, I tried also running the servlet using another version of glassfish (I guess just a lighter version) and it worked fine too.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON??? Could it be anything related to some settings/configurations of the Glassfish Enterprise Server Edition together with the servlet environment? What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Re: GlassFish 2.1.1 - TopLink (JPA1) Persistence Exception 7106 - String Encryption Mistery...

Mitesh Meswani-2
You might be hitting
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6928796.
Look at the bug description for possible workarounds.
On 7/1/2010 2:12 PM, devmardev wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using NetBeans 6.8 and Glassfish Enterprise Server 2.1.1 ((v2.1
> Patch06)(9.1_02 Patch12)) (build b31g-fcs). I created a servlet and used
> Netbeans code generation features to imlement persistence using TopLink
> (JPA1).
>
> When I try to create an Entity Manager with the following code:
> EntityManagerFactory
> entityManagerFactory=Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory("xyzPU");
> EntityManager entityManager=entityManagerFactory.createEntityManager();
>
> I receive the following terrible exception: Exception [TOPLINK-7106] (Oracle
> TopLink Essentials - 2.1 (Build b31g-fcs (10/19/2009))):
> oracle.toplink.essentials.exceptions.ValidationException Exception
> java.security.ProviderException: update() failed
> oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.EntityManagerSetupImpl.deploy(EntityManagerSetupImpl.java:240)
> oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.base.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.getServerSession(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:93)
> oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.base.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManagerImpl(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:138)
> oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.base.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManagerImpl(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:132)
> oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManager(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:91)
> etc...
>
> Trying to figure out what was going on I put the 2 lines of code above into
> a new class with a main() method (same package of the one where the code was
> before but outside of the servlet) and everything worked properly. Thus,
> there should be no issues with libraries importing, configuration files,
> etc.. Furthermore, I tried also running the servlet using another version of
> glassfish (I guess just a lighter version) and it worked fine too.
>
> CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON??? Could it be anything related to some
> settings/configurations of the Glassfish Enterprise Server Edition together
> with the servlet environment? What should I do?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Re: GlassFish 2.1.1 - TopLink (JPA1) Persistence Exception 7106 - String Encryption Mistery...

devmardev
Thank you for your response. You're probably right. I still don't understand why I hit the bug only from a servlet context and not from a generic main method but the cause of the exception seems the one listed in the bug description. I'm having other issues downgrading to a previous JDK version and the workarounds are a little bit obscure to me. Where should I add the following code?

disabledMechanisms = {
   CKM_DES_ECB
   CKM_DES_CBC
}

How can I pass SunJCE as the provider in order to avoid the bug?

Thank you very much for your help.

Mitesh Meswani-2 wrote
You might be hitting
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6928796.
Look at the bug description for possible workarounds.
On 7/1/2010 2:12 PM, devmardev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using NetBeans 6.8 and Glassfish Enterprise Server 2.1.1 ((v2.1
> Patch06)(9.1_02 Patch12)) (build b31g-fcs). I created a servlet and used
> Netbeans code generation features to imlement persistence using TopLink
> (JPA1).
>
> When I try to create an Entity Manager with the following code:
> EntityManagerFactory
> entityManagerFactory=Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory("xyzPU");
> EntityManager entityManager=entityManagerFactory.createEntityManager();
>
> I receive the following terrible exception: Exception [TOPLINK-7106] (Oracle
> TopLink Essentials - 2.1 (Build b31g-fcs (10/19/2009))):
> oracle.toplink.essentials.exceptions.ValidationException Exception
> java.security.ProviderException: update() failed
> oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.EntityManagerSetupImpl.deploy(EntityManagerSetupImpl.java:240)
> oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.base.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.getServerSession(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:93)
> oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.base.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManagerImpl(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:138)
> oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.base.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManagerImpl(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:132)
> oracle.toplink.essentials.internal.ejb.cmp3.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManager(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:91)
> etc...
>
> Trying to figure out what was going on I put the 2 lines of code above into
> a new class with a main() method (same package of the one where the code was
> before but outside of the servlet) and everything worked properly. Thus,
> there should be no issues with libraries importing, configuration files,
> etc.. Furthermore, I tried also running the servlet using another version of
> glassfish (I guess just a lighter version) and it worked fine too.
>
> CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON??? Could it be anything related to some
> settings/configurations of the Glassfish Enterprise Server Edition together
> with the servlet environment? What should I do?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Re: GlassFish 2.1.1 - TopLink (JPA1) Persistence Exception 7106 - String Encryption Mistery...

Mitesh Meswani-2
I am afraid, I am also not familiar with the mechanisms described for
workaround. You should approach your Sun (now Oracle) support contact to
get further assistance with this.