Quantcast

admin port 4848 already used

HowHigH
Hi everybody,

I got a problem when I want to launch glassfish v3 on debian5. It was working very well but since yesterday it doesn't anymore. I got this error message when I use asadmin start-domain:

"There is a process already using the admin port 4848 -- it probably is another instance of a GlassFish server.
Command start-domain failed."

I saw on this forum that other people had this problem and I tried to use what they said (change admin port) but it doesn't work.

Here is my server.log:
------
04-janv.-2010 16:45:58 com.sun.enterprise.admin.launcher.GFLauncherLogger info
INFO: JVM invocation command line:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java
-cp
/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/modules/glassfish.jar
-XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions
-XX:MaxPermSize=192m
-XX:NewRatio=2
-XX:+LogVMOutput
-XX:LogFile=/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/domains/domain1/logs/jvm.log
-Xmx512m
-client
-javaagent:/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/lib/monitor/btrace-agent.jar=unsafe=true,noServer=true
-Dosgi.shell.telnet.maxconn=1
-Djdbc.drivers=org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver
-Dfelix.fileinstall.dir=/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/modules/autostart/
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/domains/domain1/config/keystore.jks
-Dosgi.shell.telnet.port=6666
-Djava.security.policy=/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/domains/domain1/config/server.policy
-Dfelix.fileinstall.poll=5000
-Dcom.sun.aas.instanceRoot=/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/domains/domain1
-Dcom.sun.enterprise.config.config_environment_factory_class=com.sun.enterprise.config.serverbeans.AppserverConfigEnvironmentFactory
-Dosgi.shell.telnet.ip=127.0.0.1
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/modules/endorsed:/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/lib/endorsed
-Dcom.sun.aas.installRoot=/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish
-Djava.ext.dirs=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/lib/ext:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/ext:/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/domains/domain1/lib/ext
-Dfelix.fileinstall.bundles.new.start=true
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/domains/domain1/config/cacerts.jks
-Dcom.sun.enterprise.security.httpsOutboundKeyAlias=s1as
-Djava.security.auth.login.config=/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/domains/domain1/config/login.conf
-DANTLR_USE_DIRECT_CLASS_LOADING=true
-Dfelix.fileinstall.debug=1
-Dorg.glassfish.web.rfc2109_cookie_names_enforced=false
-Djava.library.path=/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/lib:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.16/jre/lib/i386/client:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.16/jre/lib/i386:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.16/lib/i386:/usr/java/packages/lib/i386:/lib:/usr/lib
com.sun.enterprise.glassfish.bootstrap.ASMain
-domainname
domain1
-asadmin-args
start-domain
-instancename
server
-verbose
false
-debug
false
-asadmin-classpath
/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/modules/admin-cli.jar
-asadmin-classname
com.sun.enterprise.admin.cli.AsadminMain
-upgrade
false
-domaindir
/home/phil/glassfishv3/glassfish/domains/domain1
-read-stdin
true
--------

Tell me if you need more information.

Thanks

Re: admin port 4848 already used

glassfish-2
HI,

I had the same problem. This is a generic error when Glassfish can't bind to port 4848 on all the interfaces on the computer for some reason.

In my case it was a poorly configured dns server that gave the wrong ip address on dns lookup for the hostname defined on the machine.

You can bind to a specific IP address in domain.xml if you still can't figure out what the problem was.

This is assuming of course that you don't genuinely have another instance running !!!

Regards.
[Message sent by forum member 'arshadm' ([hidden email])]

Re: admin port 4848 already used

Hassan Schroeder-2
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 10:56 AM, HowHigH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got a problem when I want to launch glassfish v3 on debian5. It was
> working very well but since yesterday it doesn't anymore. I got this error
> message when I use asadmin start-domain:
>
> "There is a process already using the admin port 4848 -- it probably is
> another instance of a GlassFish server.
> Command start-domain failed."
>
> I saw on this forum that other people had this problem and I tried to use
> what they said (change admin port) but it doesn't work.

So It's probably exactly what the error message says -- did you try
to check whether or not another instance was running? That would
be the first step, rather than trying to reconfigure your installation...

twitter: @hassan

Re: admin port 4848 already used

HowHigH
This post was updated on .
@Hassan Schroeder-2
[ironic]
you are surely a genious...
[/ironic]
...it's the first thing I did and check if the port was free too...

@arshadm
i'm going to try what you said.

Re: admin port 4848 already used

Dominik Dorn

LOL you are surely a genious... it's the first thing I did and check if the
port was free too...
you are running linux/unix?

run
netstat -atunp | grep 4848
and you see which process is using port 4848.

also note, its quite impolite how you respond to other users trying to help you.

Dominik Dorn
http://dominikdorn.com

Re: admin port 4848 already used

HowHigH

Dominik Dorn wrote
> LOL you are surely a genious... it's the first thing I did and check if the
> port was free too...

you are running linux/unix?

run
netstat -atunp | grep 4848
and you see which process is using port 4848.

also note, its quite impolite how you respond to other users trying to help
you.

--
Dominik Dorn
http://dominikdorn.com
have you read what i wrote? no other process is using this port...
i've already done all theses checks.
It was a mistake to ask help when i see the answers..
I did the barbare way ==> reinstall the network part and it's ok

Re: admin port 4848 already used

Ludovic Champenois
HowHigH wrote:

> Dominik Dorn wrote:

>>> LOL you are surely a genious... it's the first thing I did and check if
>>> the
>>> port was free too...
>>>

>> you are running linux/unix?
>>
>> run
>> netstat -atunp | grep 4848
>> and you see which process is using port 4848.
>>
>> also note, its quite impolite how you respond to other users trying to
>> help
>> you.
>>
>> --
>> Dominik Dorn
>> http://dominikdorn.com
>>

> have you read what i wrote? no other process is using this port...
> i've already done all theses checks.
> It was a mistake to ask help when i see the answers..
> I did the barbare way ==> reinstall the network part and it's ok

Great.
What is the "network part" and how do you reinstall it?
Ludo

Re: admin port 4848 already used

glassfish-2
just add

127.0.1.1    your-host-name

to /etc/hosts

then it will just be fine.
[Message sent by forum member 'jnduan' ([hidden email])]

Re: admin port 4848 already used

glassfish-2
I had this same problem, after moving a server from one subnet to another.

I had forgotten to update /etc/hosts with the new IP address, and got this same error.

Glassfish was obviously tying to bind to the address in /etc/hosts instead of the actual network interface.

When it couldn't do that, I got this "admin port 4848 already used" error.

I spent about 15 minutes checking with netstat / lsof and couldn't find anything using that port.

I also checked for the Java process using ps and Glassfish wasn't even running!

This appears to be poorly written software, in that it can't present a decent error message. Why couldn't it simply state something like "unable to bind to IP x.x.x.x"? Instead of issuing this stupidly obscure error message?

Apparently it doesn't even check the processes to see if it is running!
[Message sent by forum member 'tonyar' ([hidden email])]

Re: admin port 4848 already used

glassfish-2
FYI, that didn't work for me.

Am running Debian Squeeze on new laptop and had same problem bringing up GlassFish.

Realized the problem was i had no internet access via java, i.e. was back to an earlier problem with ipv6 which was introduced during an update sometime back in Jan 2010.  There is now an ipv6-only switch in netbase that is set in [b]/etc/sysctl.d/bindv6only.conf.[/b]

need to update this file and change  net.ipv6.bindv6only from 1 to 0, then restart the network.  after that, Glassfish started fine.

read about it here in its entirety

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=505058&#msg_505058
[Message sent by forum member 'cyanide_bunny']

RE: Re: admin port 4848 already used

Deepu Syamaladevi Janardhananachary (UST, IND)
Hi,

Search the port 4848 in domain.xml and change it to some other value say 4849
Then try to restart. On trying to start, it will show again the same error with different port number
Search again that port in the domain.xml and change it to some other value
Continue this process to some 3 or 4 times
Finally, the server will get start without any problem.

Regards,
Deepu Janardhananachary